16 Herbs: 8 of which are in the form of oils for external use for the natural treatment of depression:
1. St John’s Wort has been shown to help reduce anxiety, depression and the feelings of being worthless. It also helps to improve sleep quality. This herb causes sensitivity to sunlight so protect your skin from the sun.
2. Licorice contains MAO inhibitors which are potent antidepressants. If you take licorice or any other MAO inhibitor, avoid alcohol, smoked or pickled foods, cold and hay fever medications, amphetamines, narcotics, tryptophan and tyrosine.
3. Ginger helps to reduce anxiety and depression.
4. Purslane is in the minerals potassium and magnesium which have been shown to have antidepressant affects.
5. Thyme is rich in lithium which is a medicine that is highly prescribed for the treatment of depression.
6. Oils for the purpose of massage (not to be taken internally) such as Rosemary, Bergamot, Basil, Camomile, Clary Sage, Lavender, Jasmine, Nutmeg and Ylang Ylang all stimulate the central nervous system.
7. Gingko helps depression by increasing the blood flow to the brain.
8. Siberian Ginseng is an MAO inhibitor, like licorice, so note the above foods to avoid. Many find that it helps to improve a person’s well-being.